Mass Prep Stars MIAA & NEPSAC Football Poll 10/4/16
Welcome to our first Mass Prep stars MIAA Top 25 & NEPAC Top 10 Poll of the 2016 season.
We will be providing weekly poll updates on Sunday nights moving forward.
We will also be adding notes to our NEPSAC poll, along with enhanced media to the polls, beginning next week.
MIAA Top 25
1. Duxbury (4-0) Has anybody made up for lost time better than Devin DeMeritt? The senior tailback had another explosive night in the Dragons 46-0 rout of Plymouth North, totaling five touchdowns and 296 yards from scrimmage, including an eye-popping rushing total (6 carries, 198 yards, 3 TD).
2. Xaverian (3-1) The Hawks closed out strong in a 17-0 win over Catholic Memorial, its second straight shutout of the Knights, to start their Catholic Conference season 1-0. Head coach Charlie Stevenson goes for his 200th career win this Friday against age-old rival Brockton.
3. Billerica (4-0) Duane Sigsbury’s rebuilding job at Billerica came full-circle on a rainy Friday night as the Indians upset Everett in overtime, 24-21, for one of the biggest wins of the well-traveled coach’s career.
4. Everett (2-2) A few breaks go their way in the fourth against Xaverian, and a few more fourth downs get converted against Billerica, and the Crimson Tide are very easily 4-0.
5. BC High (3-0) Danny Abraham had his second game going over the 150-yard mark this season, with two scores in a 20-0 shutout of Brockton.
6. Central Catholic (3-0) After a week off, Raiders look to get another win this week over Haverhill, a team they’ve had much success against in recent years.
7. Bridgewater-Raynham (3-1) After an easy Thursday night win over Chelmsford, Trojans open up Old Colony League play this week with a visit from Dartmouth. Right about now, B-R is looking like the odds-on favorite in D1A.
8. St. John’s (Shrewsbury) (3-1) Pioneers turned in their strongest defensive performance to date in a 12-0 shutout of defending D2 state champion Nashoba. Next up is a visit from their neighbors a half-mile down the road, Shrewsbury, which has score a few surprise wins this first month.
9. Catholic Memorial (2-2) Not much to punish the Knights for here, with their only two losses of the season coming against the No. 2 and No. 8 teams in this poll.
10. St. John’s Prep (2-2) Eagles opened up Catholic Conference play with an easy rout of Malden Catholic. But Saturday afternoon’s visit from Catholic Memorial should be a much more formidable task.
11. King Philip (4-0) After rallying to take down Mansfield on Friday night, putting them at 2-0 in the division, do the Warriors now have an inside track for the Hockomock Kelly-Rex title?
12. Andover (2-2) EJ Perry threw for six touchdowns and added one on the ground, totaling 399 yards of offense, as the Golden Warriors cruised past Lowell 58-28, their second straight game posting 50 or more points after surrendering 105 points in their first two contests.
13. Haverhill (3-1) Hillies rolled to a 32-12 win over Methuen, and now face their toughest challenged yet in a visit from Central Catholic.
14. Tewksbury (4-0) Redmen rolled to an easy 39-7 win over Dracut on Saturday afternoon. Another win this week over Lawrence could solidify the inevitable Merrimack Valley Conference D2 championship match-up with Billerica in Week 7.
15. Holliston (3-1) Panthers take step back following 36-34 loss to Tri-Valley League archrival Westwood.
16. Grafton (4-0) Another monster night for Syracuse commit Ifeatu Melifonwu, who totaled 3 touchdowns and nearly 200 yards of offense in a 35-0 rout of Southbridge. The 6-foot-3 triple threat is simply in a class of his own right now.
17. Springfield Central (2-2) Golden Eagles take a tumble from the state’s elite after a surprising 6-0 loss to rival Longmeadow.
18. Dartmouth (4-0) Two-time defending D3 state champs off to another solid start, after beating Durfee 27-7. They open Old Colony League play this week at Bridgewater-Raynham.
19. North Attleboro (3-1) Red Rocketeers have come on strong since season-opening loss to King Philip, scoring 34 or more points in three straight contests, the latest a 35-7 drubbing of Milford on Sunday at hallowed Community Field.
20. Mansfield (2-2) Hornets take tumble in the poll following thrilling 20-17 loss to King Philip.
21. Falmouth (4-0) Suddenly the Clippers are 2-0 in the Atlantic Coast League, after a 45-6 rout of Sandwich on Friday night. Who could have seen that coming?
22. Milton (3-1) Wildcats’ surprise 26-7 loss to Natick means they’ll probably have to win out the rest of the way if they want to go back-to-back as Bay State Herget champions. They can get back on track quickly this Friday against Norwood.
23. Hanover (4-0) Indians’ 43-18 rout of North Quincy has them comfortably in the lead to start Patriot League play.
24. Lexington (4-0) Minutemen make their season debut after a surprising start capped by a 56-27 drubbing of defending D2 Eastern Mass. champion Reading.
25. Wachusett (3-0) Mountaineers made a loud crack across the state with its 27-10 thrashing of D2 Central favorite Leominster.
Next 10 up (alphabetical):
NEPSAC Top 10
1. Lawrence Academy (2-0)
2. Choate Rosemary Hall School (3-0)
3. Salisbury School (2-0)
4. Suffield Academy (2-0)
5. Cheshire Academy (1-2)
6. Brunswick School (3-0)
7. Trinity-Pawling School (2-0)
8. Milton Academy (2-0)
9. Avon Old Farms (1-1)
10. Worcester Academy (1-1)
Next 5 up (alphabetical)
Loomis Chaffee School
Please follow Mass Prep Stars for coverage and athlete updates on Twitter @masspreps. Please also stay connected with us on our Facebook page. You can check out our NEW Instagram page, where we will bring you live shots and clips from Mass Prep Stars in action. Lastly, make sure you create and update your Mass Prep Stars athlete profile, by going to http://massprepstars.com/players/profile-options and use it as your Scholastic Athletic Resume. You can create and update your bio information, statistics, photos, videos and news links! Please Email us with any questions!
Players in Article
Check out some of the most popular articles on MAPS
Check out some of the latest articles on MAPS