Mass Prep Stars MIAA Boys Basketball Poll 1/3/17
Welcome to our Mass Prep Stars MIAA Top 25 Boys Basketball Poll
Our first post-Holiday Poll brings some solid movement, as Holiday tournaments have concluded, teams have returned from out-of-state play, and teams are diving in to league play.
Please also be sure to check out our previous poll that was done before the holidays.
Our rankings include team records with out of state games included, however the rankings are not dramaticlly influenced by out-of-state play. The team records also include all exclusionary games.
For nominations, suggestions, and thoughts, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Cambridge (6-0) Previous Ranking – (1): Cambridge has been clicking on all cylinders, as they dominated both Bedford and Acton-Boxboro and took care of Portsmouth (NH) and St. Raphael’s (RI) in the BABC invitational. Jakigh Dottin, who is approaching the 1,000-point mark, and Dimon Carrigan lead the Falcons, who are also healthy and back at full strength. Cambridge will take on Newton South this Friday.
2. New Mission (3-3) Previous Ranking – (2): New Mission remains No. 2 in our poll, as their 3-0 in-state mark holds strong early in the season. They recently returned from a three game trip down in Florida where they matched up with three top caliber programs. New Mission and Brighton will play this Friday, in a much-anticipated battle for early-season BSL prowess.
3. BC High (6-0) Previous Ranking – (4): The Eagles jump Mansfield this week, due to their impressive wins over Providence Classical (RI), Concord-Carlisle, and Brockton and out-of-state have big wins over Needham and Brockton. Point guard Travis Evee and star wing Carl Pierre, have benefited from the improved play of big man Jordan Minor and wing Mike Vasil in their recent run of success.
4. Mansfield (5-0) Previous Ranking – (3): The Hornets come off a 2-0 trip to Florida and return with a big match-up against BC High on Wednesday. Mansfield will also match up with a improved Taunton (4-1) team at the end of the week. We should know a lot more about this young and impressive squad come our next poll.
5. Everett (5-0) Previous Ranking – (7): The Crimson Tide make a two-spot jump in our rankings due to wins over to victories over Belmont and Bishop Stang. Everett keeps climbing and will take on Medford this week, before a big week next week against Malden and Somerville.
6. Central Catholic (4-0) Previous Ranking – (12): The Raiders make the biggest jump in the top 10, in our poll, as they jump up from up from 12 in our poll on the heels of wins over Londonderry (NH), North Andover and Andover, to win the 2016 Commonwealth Classic. Sam Lara and Colin Bradanese have paced the Raiders early. Tonight’s match-up against Lowell will be a must see in the MVC.
7. Brighton (3-1) Previous Ranking – (9): A big win over O’Bryant, followed by a spilt in New Jersey has Brighton poised and ready for a big new year. It will start with a Friday night battle against New Mission in the BCL.
8. Newton North (3-1) Previous Ranking – (13): The Tigers are back in the top 10, after three straight wins over Weymouth, Newton South and Catholic Memorial. There may not be a hitter player in the MIAA than guard Ethan Wright. This week brings two Bay State match-ups, highlighted by a battle with undefeated Brookline tonight.
9. Catholic Memorial (4-1) Previous Ranking – (5): CM slides down slightly in our poll, following tough loss to Newton North last week. A big match-up with Franklin and a Friday night contest against Xaverian can launch their ascension back up the polls. Ulyen Coleman is another rising star in the MIAA, who is playing exceptional early-season basketball.
10. Malden Catholic (5-0) Previous Ranking – (14): The Lancers picked up wins over Franklin and Somerville and are one of our top risers, making a four-spot jump in to our top 10. MC will take on Catholic Conference rival St. John’s Prep in a big Friday night match-up.
11. Franklin (5-1) Previous Ranking – (6): Franklin dropped a tough game to Malden Catholic and picked up wins over East Boston and Danvers since our last poll. Tonight’s battle with CM can help vault Franklin back in to the Top 10 picture.
12. Brookline (4-0) Previous Ranking – (21): Chris Camille. Mark Barrett and company have Brookline riding high after narrow victories over Braintree and Burke. Brookline faces their biggest test tonight, as they take on Newton North. They also draw Weymouth on Friday.
13. Lowell (5-0) Previous Ranking – (22): Alex Rivera has helped lead Lowell to an early-undefeated start to the 2016-2017 season, sparked by a Greater Lowell Holiday championship. Tonight’s battle with Central Catholic is a big test for the young Raiders.
14. Springfield Central (3-0) Previous Ranking – (NR)- Wins over Amherst and Wesfield, before break, have Central in the middle of our Top 25 pack. This week brings Northampton and East Longmeadow, as Central comes off an extended break.
15. St. John’s Prep (3-1) Previous Ranking – (14): The Eagles were rolling early on in the season, until they dropped a 63-41 contest to Boston Cathedral before break. A Friday night match-up with Malden Catholic is a big one for early-season positioning in the Catholic Conference.
16. Andover (4-2) Previous Ranking – (NR): After an opening loss to Lowell, Andover bounced back with wins over Tewksbury, Methuen and Lawrence, before losing to Central Catholic in the Commonwealth Classic final. EJ Perry helped lead the Golden Warriors early, but the football star will head to BC and start his collegiate football career.
17. Needham (4-1) Previous Ranking – (17): Wins over Framingham, Newton South and Xaverian have Needham back on track, after an early season blowout loss to BC High. Needham hits the road this week with BSC games against Weymouth and Braintree.
18. Attleboro (6-0) Previous Ranking – (18) – Attleboro remained undefeated, as they defeated Sharon, Bishop Feehan and Dartmouth since our last poll. Attleboro will look to remain unbeaten, as they host Durfee and King Philip this week.
19. Weston (6-0) Previous Ranking – (25): Weston makes a big move up the poll, as they have dominated opponents to date this season. Kyle Murphy continues to lead the Wildcats, who have big match-ups this week against CASH and Bedford.
20. Methuen (4-1) Previous Ranking – (20): Methuen moves up a spot in our poll despite their first loss of the season, 66-63 to Andover in the Commonwealth Classic semifinals. Methuen has a daunting week ahead of them, as they tackle MVC stalwarts Andover, Lawrence, and Central Catholic.
21. Nashoba (6-0) Previous Ranking – (NR): Nashoba enters our poll for the first time after starting the season undefeated after six games. With early season wins over St. John’s Shrewsbury and St. Bernard’s Nashoba looks primed for a big run in Central Mass. this season.
22. Marlboro (4-1) Previous Ranking – 10): Marlboro suffered their first loss of the season, as they dropped a four-point contest to unranked Algonquin over break. They will look to get back on track this week with games against Fitchburg and Shrewsbury.
23. Boston Cathedral (5-2) Previous Ranking (NR): Cathedral has picked up big recent wins over Bishop Stang and St. John’s Prep and enters our poll heading into a week where they host both Martha’s Vinyard and Dorchester.
24. Arlington (4-0) Previous Ranking (NR): Arlington enters our poll for the first time after recently defeating Somerville 70-66. The Spy Ponders will host Belmont and travel to Reading this week as they dive head first in to their Middlesex League schedule.
25. Lawrence (3-1) Previous Ranking (NR): Lawrence has a big week ahead with games against Haverhill, Methuen and Andover on the docket.
Next Group Up: Bedford (4-1), Bridgewater-Raynham (5-1), Concord-Carlisle (1-2), Groton-Dunstable (6-0), Hanover (6-1), Holliston (4-0), Lynn English (4-1), Malden (4-1), Maynard (2-1), Milton (2-1), O’Bryant (3-2), St. Mary’s Lynn (5-2), St. John’s Shrewsbury (5-2), St. Peter Marian (6-1) and Quincy (6-1).
Please follow Mass Prep Stars for coverage and athlete updates on Twitter @masspreps. Please also stay connected with us on our Facebook page. You can check out our NEW Instagram page, where we will bring you live shots and clips from Mass Prep Stars in action. Lastly, make sure you create and update your Mass Prep Stars athlete profile, by going to http://massprepstars.com/players/profile-options and use it as your Scholastic Athletic Resume. You can create and update your bio information, statistics, photos, videos and news links! Please Email us with any questions!
Players in Article
Check out some of the most popular articles on MAPS
Check out some of the latest articles on MAPS