Week 3 New England Lax Notes / Polls
Each Tuesday or Wednesday we will have our weekly Lax Notes and Massachusetts Poll available. Please check back and email firstname.lastname@example.org for updates, thoughts, and questions.
- The 2011 Coaches Challenge Cup got was a great showing of some of the top talent in Massachusetts public school lacrosse. Wellesley came out of the 8-team tournament as the champion defeating Concord-Carlisle, 5-2, on a rain soaked day last Saturday. The Wellesley defense, led by junior goalie and Penn State commit Connor Darcey '12, was stellar all tournament. If there was a player of the tourney Darcey would have been the man. To read more about the finals click here for ESPN Boston's analysis.
- Darcey and the Raiders followed up their win at the Coaches Cup Tuesday with a, 17-10, win over Needham last night. If you thought Wellesley could not score goals and that it was all about the baseball like scores, think again. Charlie Jennings '11(pictured below vs. Winchester) scored 7 goals in the game for the Raiders.
- Billerica definitely had their best week of lacrosse this season as they defeated Medfield, BC High and Westford Academy and moved up in our rankings this week.
- Congrats to Billerica attack and UMass commit Grant Whiteway '11 who topped the 400 career point mark for Billerica in a win over BC High last week. Whiteway was our NEPS Player of the Week for his efforts in three wins.
- Another Billerica star who had an amazing week was junior attack Cam Slatton '12. Slatton scored 5 goals and dished out 6 assists against Westford Academy in an 18-6 Indians win.
- The up and down 2011 roller coaseter ride for Lincoln-Sudbury continued its journey yesterday as they lost, 9-8, to Acton-Boxborough. The win was A-B's biggest of the season. It is also a tough one for L-S who just evened up their record at .500 with a convincing, 8-1, win over North Andover in one of the Coaches Challenge Cup consolation games Saturday. Read more about the game here from Acton Patch.
Fab 15 Massachusetts week 2
with previous week's record, rank in bold, and impact performance (s) since last week's poll
1.) Duxbury (6-3) 1 - defeated Cohasset, and Irondequoit (NY) lost to Niskayuna (NY)
2.) Wellesley (8-0) 2 - defeated Needham, Concord- Carlisle, Dover-Sherborn, and Winchester (WOW!)
3.) Billerica (7-2) 5 - defeated Central Catholic, BC High, and Westford Academy.
4.) Concord-Carlisle (8-1) 3 - defeated Weston, Hingham and Andover, lost to Wellesley
5.) Hingham (7-1) 9 - defeated Winchester, Lincoln-Sudbury and lost to Concord-Carlisle
6.) Needham (6-2) 6 - defeated Scituate and lost to Wellesley
7.) Dover-Sherborn (9-1) 8 - defeated Bellingham, Holliston, North Andover, Andover, and lost to Wellesley
8.) Marshfield (9-0) 10 - defeated Barnstable, Plymouth North, Sandwich and Dennis Yarmouth
9.) BC High (7-2) 5 - defeated Acton-Boxborough, Xaverian and lost to Billerica
10.) Masconomet (6-1) 15 - defeated Reading, Peabody and Newburyport
11.) Reading (7-1) 7 - defeated Austin Prep, Central Catholic and Melrose and lost to Masconomet
12.) Medfield (6-2) NR - defeated Xaverian and Ashland and lost to Billerica and Glastonbury (CT)
13.) Cohasset (8-3) NR - defeated Hull and Norwood and lost to Duxbury
14.) Walpole (4-0) 11 - defeated Scituate, St. John's Prep and King Phillip and lost to Newton North
15.) Andover (7-2) 12 - defeated L-S, Haverhill and lost to Concord-Carlisle and Dover-Sherborn
Elsewhere in New England
- Connecticut's best team, Darien, dropped a close, 10-7, contest to Manhasset (NY) last week. Playing a ridiculous schedule Darien looks poised to repeat in CT this year as they go for their seventh straight state title.
- In New Hampshire Bishop Guertin (4-2, 4-0 vs. NH) and Pinkerton Academy (6-0) look like they are the state's strongest squads this season. The two most storied programs in the the Granite state are both hitting their stride and we look forward to covering the May 16th match-up between the two at Pinkerton.
- In Rhode Island La Salle Academy (4-0) takes on North Kingstown (5-1) today in a battle of RI's best teams.
- Preps and Privates - It is going to be a great weekend for Prep and Private school lax. NEPS will be live at the Middlesex and Rivers match-up Friday in Concord, MA. On Saturday we are going to check out New England's best team in Deerfield Academy, led by UNC commit Jimmy Bitter '11, as they travel to Phillips Andover to take on Will Walker '11, Joe Kruy '12 and Phillips Andover Academy.
Please follow Mass Prep Stars for coverage and athlete updates on Twitter @masspreps. Please also stay connected with us on our Facebook page. You can check out our NEW Instagram page, where we will bring you live shots and clips from Mass Prep Stars in action. Lastly, make sure you create and update your Mass Prep Stars athlete profile, by going to http://massprepstars.com/players/profile-options and use it as your Scholastic Athletic Resume. You can create and update your bio information, statistics, photos, videos and news links! Please Email us with any questions!