February 22nd Hoops Notes
- Brewster Academy won the 2011 New Hampton Invitational Tournament on Saturday. Pittsburgh bound Durand Johnson '11 led all scorers with 22 points and St. John's bound forward Jakarr Sampson '11 took home the MVP of the tournament. See more on the final day of the tournament here.
- Andover's Joe Bramanti '11 (pictured above left) responded nicely to losses to consecutive losses to the state's best two teams in Central Catholic and St. John's Prep. Bramanti led the Golden warriors to the a consolation game victory over Newton North in the COMCAST tournament held this past weekend. Bramanti scored 38 points and was dominating in the final quarter of the 75-66 win. Still unsigned Bramanti, one of the state's best slashing guards, should see his stock rise with continued efforts like this one.
- Lee Academy (ME), playing without stars Keith Coleman '11, and Rodell Wigginton '13, dropped a buzzer beater, 76-74, to NIA Prep (New Jersey) in the final game of the 2011 Black History Month Classic at Emmanuel College Monday. Playing well for Lee Academy was former Scituate (MA) high school star Rodney Beldo '11 (#11 pictured below) and Venezuelan Anthony Cortesia '12 (#13 pictured below).
- Cambridge Rindge and Latin responded well to their first loss of the year (to Somerville) by defeating Brockton, 60-44. Jacquil Taylor '13 (pictured shooting below) had a strong defensive game as he blocked eight shots to go along with 11 points and 11 rebounds. On senior night Kyroe Qualls-Betts '11 had his best shooting game of the season, nailing five 3-pointers.
- Keep an eye out for our final regular season New England and Massachusetts Fab 15 rankings due out on Thursday.
Please follow Mass Prep Stars for live game coverage and athlete updates on Twitter @masspreps. Please also stay connected with us on our Facebook page. You can check out our NEW Instagram page, where we will bring you live shots and clips from Mass Prep Stars in action. Lastly, make sure you create and update your Mass Prep Stars athlete profile, by going to http://massprepstars.com/players/profile-options and use it as your Scholastic Athletic Resume. You can create and update your bio information, statistics, photos, videos and news links! Please Email us with any questions!