2013 Massachusetts Girls Basketball Notes
Posted on January 3rd 2013
Basketball season is well underway in Massachusetts and we will have girls basketball covered like a glove all-season.
Be sure to keep an eye out for our LIVE game coverage on twitter @newenglandpreps along with special features, one-on-one interviews, photo galleries, weekly notes column, player rankings and profiles, and our athlete's speak section where you hear directly from the athletes.
We begin our first NEPS Massachusetts girls basketball notes column with an exciting two / three weeks of Massachusetts action.
Early Season Fab 5: Our pre-season Fab 5 in Massachusetts are all off to BIG starts to their respective seasons.
Donnaizha Fountain '13 - Cambridge - (pictured) The Georgia Tech commit had the individual performance of the early season in a loss to Arlington Catholic. Fountain was simply amazing but came up just short in a loss to Arlington Catholic and forward Maura Buckley '14. Fountain exploded for 30 points, 10 rebounds, eight blocks, and five steals. Read more about her effort on ESPN Boston here.
Kayla Burton '13 - Newton South - The Lehigh commit scored 27 points on seven made 3-pointers in a win over Portsmouth (RI). Burton looks to lead the Lady Lions into another tough DCL season that features a game against Lafayette commit Ashley Lutz and Lincoln-Sudbury on Friday night.
Olivia Healy '13 - Reading - The Richmond commit has had to shoulder the load without the presence of her back court teammate and Assumption commit Morgan O'Brien '13 (out for season with knee injury). Healy has done a great job of that as she has led Reading to an undefeated start.
Morgan Lumb '13 - North Andover - (pictured below) The Hartford commit was named our NEPS player of the week as she took home MVP honors of the 2012 Greater Lawrence Christmas tournament. Her play was instrumental in wins over Methuen, Salem (NH) and Central Catholic.
Casey McLaughlin '13 - Central Catholic - (pictured below left with Lowell's Alexi Schecter right) The Stonehill commit is a walking double-double and is one of the hardest working players in the state. McLaughlin gets after every loose ball and has a quick step and constant motor. Look for a BIG season out of McLaughlin and the Lady Raiders.
DCL Stars start strong: Along with Burton three other DCL stars have started strong in Lutz, Weston's two-time DCL small MVP Saliah Serrette '13 , and Westford Academy junior forward Samantha Hyslip '14. Hyslip had a fantastic game in a win over Weston that. See more from Hyslip from our NEPS coverage here
Lowell freshman Alexi Schecter '16 has taken the high school scene by storm as she is proving to be one of the state's top centers for the Lady Raiders. Schecter was amazing in two tournament games in North Andover last week. Read more about her effort against Central Catholic on ESPN Boston here
- Newton North has started the season with a bang as they are getting balanced scoring and defense from their entire squad. Juniors Infiniti Thoms-Waheed, Maddie Bledsoe and senior Gemma Burie lead a deep Lady Tigers squad. Read more about their recent win over crosstown rival Newton South on ESPN Boston here
- Sophomore guard Molly Bent '15 scored an amazing 41 points to lead Barnstable over New Bedford last Thursday night, 56-42. Read more about her effort on Cape Cod Online here
- Pentucket made an early statement as they defeated fellow top-10 rank Billerica, 59-39 on Wednesday, behind strong games from sophomore guards Kelsi McNamara, McKenna Kilian and senior forward Tess Nogueira (pictured left below with Billerica's Joslyn King right). Billerica guard and UMass Lowell commit Brittany Lomanno '13 played well in the loss. Read more about the win on ESPN Boston here
- The City of Braintree sits on top of the most recent ESPN Boston poll. No. 1 Braintree and No. 3 Archbishop Williams are both off to strong starts and we look forward to seeing both teams in action in the next week. No. 2 Reading and Healy sit in between the two cross-town schools. See the weekly ESPN Boston Top 25 poll here
- Wellesley defeated Needham in a tight overtime thriller last Tuesday by the score of 42-37. See some of the action below from our friends at The Needham Channel
Please follow Mass Prep Stars for live game coverage and athlete updates on Twitter @masspreps. Please also stay connected with us on our Facebook page. You can check out our NEW Instagram page, where we will bring you live shots and clips from Mass Prep Stars in action. Lastly, make sure you create and Update update your Mass Prep Stars athlete profile, and use it as your Scholastic Athletic Resume. You can create and update your bio information, statistics, photos, videos and news links! Please Email us with any questions!